Saturday, October 28, 2017

Back Home Again ( Part 5 )






Back Home Again ( Part 5 )
7415 Ottawa Ave

Polio Strikes


June 21st 1994

I’m at 7415 Ottawa Ave. This is the third home we’ve ever lived in. As matter of fact, this is the first single-family house we had. The other house on Devon Ave was a duplex. So this is our first single family home. I live here from the age of 4 until I was 7 years old.



All this was all prairie around here, especially in the back of the house. Now it’s nothing but homes here but back then it was nothing but prairie. You could just go for what seemed like forever in the back there and play. One time Jimmy my cousin came over. We were out in the fields in the back and there was this sewer cover back there and we wanted to see what was in it. So I lifted it up and he was going to get his fingers underneath it so he could help lift it up. And all of a sudden I couldn’t hold it anymore and the sewer cover came down on his fingers and he got caught and he was screaming and I couldn’t lift it up anymore. So I came running back and got Mom and Aunt Marie and they came running back into the field and got his fingers out. I almost cut off his fingers. Well it wasn’t all my fault, it was his too.

 Michael lived next door to us. He was a pretty nice guy. He was my friend. The only thing I can remember about him, he had the biggest comic book collection I ever saw in my life. I saw him later on when I was in my 20's but I don’t know where he is now though. His mom died since I’ve seen him.  Then next door there used to be couple and they had a kid, a brand new baby.  It was a day just like today, nice and sunny and bright and warm. And they put the crib out in front and the baby was taking a nap in the crib. They put it on its back when he was taking a nap and the baby spit up a little bit and it came down and he started choking on its own spit or vomit or whatever you want to call it and the poor baby died. My Mom came running over because the woman next door was hysteric. My Mom tried to save the baby by giving mouth-to-mouth but couldn’t. That was a tragedy.                                               

  My Dad had fallen down the stairs here. I guess they were having a party one night and he fell down the stairs and he broke his leg. He couldn’t stand the cast after a while so he got drunk and ripped it off. He was sorry he did.

 One time it was Christmas and my Mom had set up my train around the Christmas tree.  I was standing over the train tracks pretending I was a bridge and let the train go between my legs. And all of a sudden as soon as the train got right underneath my legs, I guess it shorted out or something and sparks went flying everywhere. I thought I was gonna die, I couldn’t believe it. That was the last time we ever did that. My Mom and dad buy me my first dog that they found. It was a Cocker spaniel, a black one, all black and we called it “Inky.” She was the greatest dog. She was my best friend. We had her for a long time. I really liked that dog.

  As it turns out when we did sell this house, we sold it to a couple named the Millers They had two sons and we went on our merry way to our other home. Then when we get to be teenagers and in our twenties, Jeanne meets this guy named Rick Miller and they start dating. He takes her home to meet his Mom and Dad and as Jeanne describes it. They pull into this neighborhood and Jeanne says, “This neighborhood is familiar, I used to live around here.” And they pull up in front of the house and they start walking to Rick’s house and she says, “Is this where you live?” And Rick says, “Yeah.” and she says, “This is the same house I used to live in.” That was really strange. The same people that bought the house from us still lived there all this time. And what are the odds that my sister would end of meeting one of their sons. Of course they ended up getting married and having 4 children of their own.

 I remember one time my cousin Jimmy came over. We used to get in a lot of trouble. I think Aunt Marie decided not to get us together anymore but anyway he came over one time and I had this pet turtle. You know the kind you buy in the Dime store? And Jimmy says, “Let me bring him home.” I said. “No.” He finally talked me into it and Jimmy put him in his pocket. The next time I saw him, I asked him for my turtle back, he said, “oh, I forgot, I left him in my pants pocket and he died.” Oh, the bum! So don’t ever give any of your things to anybody, guys.

  I ran away from home, I don’t know what I did but I ran away. And I had this great big shopping bag and inside it, I put one piece of boloney and one slice of bread and I was going to run away forever. I got 2 blocks away and I eat the boloney and the bread. I got hungry so I came back home.  

This is where I first went to school over at St Juliana’s in first grade. I didn’t want to go to school. I remember my Mom taking me. And I was crying. I didn’t want to go. That was to foreign to me, to strange. I didn’t like it. Well, I met a girl there. I wish I could remember her name though. She was the prettiest girl and I used to walk her home. I lived further then she did so I used to walk her to her house and she really liked me a lot. I can’t remember her name though. And then one day I was walking home from school and I was so tied I could just barely make it home. As soon as I got home I went to bed. I guess I was really sick. And my Mom took me to the doctor’s. They found out I had Polio. So they put me in the hospital. I had Bulbar Polio, worst kind you can get. I almost died from that. They almost put me in one of those Iron Lungs machines that help you breathe. I used to call them “tin cans.” I guess I really got sick and my Dad told me later on, he says, he had collapsed on the hood of the car after he came out from seeing me and started crying to my Mom, “He’s gonna die, he’s gonna die.” My Mom had some Holy Water that one of the nuns from St Juliana’s gave her. Some Holy Water from Lourdes, you know France?  And she brought it up and she poured this Holy Water from Lourdes on me. And son-of-a-gun if I didn’t start getting better. It was like a miracle. I don’t know if that’s what it was or caused it or what but that’s what happened. So I got over that.



Cook County Hospital Where I Had Polio. I was in one of the rooms in the front of the building.

  This is the report from the Edison Parker, Edison Park Newspaper Sept 26, 1951. Report first Edison Park polio cases. Boy 6, girl 14 both in hospital. Edison Parks first cases of Infantile Paralysis cases of the year were report last week, as two youngsters, a 6-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl. Both were stricken with dangerous Bulbar Polio. The Children are Billy Kaufman 6 of 7415 N. Ottawa and Jacquelyn Dee 14 of 7025 N Overhill. After becoming ill Monday September 17th. Jacquelyn Dee, daughter of Mr & Mrs Eugene Dee, was taken Wednesday to Municipal Contagious Disease Hospital were her condition still is report as critical. Doctors said the girl is still running a temperature and is very weak and is receiving oxygen thru the nose. Jacquelyn a student at St Patrick Academy has an older sister 18 and a younger brother 6.  6-year-old Billy Kaufman son of Mr & Mrs Robert J Kaufman became ill last Wednesday and was hospitalized the following day at the Cook County Contagious Disease Hospital. His condition still is critical doctors reported but has shown improvement. Billy is no longer in oxygen although he is still running a temperature and is paralyzed in the throat and internally. Mr and Mrs Kaufman have a younger daughter Jeanne 4.

  This is a follow up article in the Edison paper.) 3 Polio cases reported in Edison. Jacquelyn Dee 14 of 7025 N Overhill, Edison Park’s first Polio victim was still in critical condition following an emergency tracheotomy at Municipal Contagious Disease Hospital Wednesday. Also in critical condition following polio attacks are Billy Kaufman 6, 7415 N. Ottawa and Jeanne Knorst 13 6950 N Overhill. All 3 victims were suffering from the Bulbar type of Polio. After becoming ill on Sept 17th, Jacquelyn was taken to the Municipal Hospital Wednesday were doctors described her condition as very critical. It is hoped Thursday’s operation will help her for her fight for her life. 6-year-old Billy Kaufman became ill last Wednesday and was hospitalized the following day at Cook County Contagious Disease Hospital. Doctors this week reported Billy’s condition improved. His fever dropped Sunday and is now able to eat some soft food. Jeanne Knorst was stricken Tuesday and was removed to Municipal Contagious Disease Hospital. Her condition is report as serious.

  This is a follow up article number 3.) Edison polio victims reportedly improved. All three make gains during week. The condition of Edison Park’s three young polio victims showed marked improvement this week. According to word received from the parents of the patients, fevers in each case have subsided and all appears to be on the road to recovery. Edison’s first victim Jacquelyn Dee 14, 7025 N Overhill was rushed to Municipal Contagious Disease Hospital September 19th is now permitted to be out of her iron lung for two 50 minutes periods daily. A victim of both Bulbar and spinal polio, the extent of Jacquelyn’s paralysis is not yet known.  Billy Kaufman 6, 7415 N. Ottawa, having been released from Cook County Contagious Hospital Saturday, was taken to St Francis Hospital this week when his parents noticed muscular spasms in parts of his body. He will remain one month for therapeutic treatments. 13 year old Jeanne Knorst, 6950 N Overhill ave was reported as improving with still no evidence of paralysis. Jeanne is also at the Municipal Contagious Disease Hospital. No release date has been given.

Some of my memories of that time in the hospital with Polio; When my parents brought me to the hospital, they put me in this big ward with a lot of beds on one side and a whole lot of Iron lungs on the other side of the room.  This was the first time I had ever been to a hospital. I was scared and when my Mom and Dad went to leave that first day, I cried. I didn’t want them to go. This would be the first time I would be alone in my whole life. Kind of like it is with me now.
  The nurses were very friendly, in fact I saw the prettiest nurse I ever saw in my life. I only saw her twice but I will never forget her. Maybe that’s why I have a thing for pretty nurses these days. The next thing I knew, I was put in a small room with three other kids. 


                                     They Put Me Back In a Crib

The nurse put me in diapers and then put me in this metal crib with clear plastic all around the top and sides of the crib. It was in an oxygen tent.


And I had To Wear Diapers All Over Again

I remember saying to my mom that I didn’t want to wear diapers. She asked the nurse about it and the nurse said that I had to wear diapers. Mom tried to explain to me that since I was sick that I had to wear them. It felt funny going in a diaper but I was locked in crib, there was nothing I could do about it. The nurses kept changing me and after a while I got used to it.

My parents visited me every day and when I started to feel better, I asked my Mom if she could bring me a strawberry Sunday. I wasn’t supposed to have it but the next night my parents snuck a strawberry Sunday up to me. Did that ever taste great. It’s funny how certain things stick out in your mind. I do remember this other kid across the room from me. He kept turning his light on and off all night one night. I couldn’t stand that.


The Whirlpool

  I finally got back home and I started having problems right away. So they put me back in a different hospital for a month. The only thing I remember about that hospital was the whirlpool that I would have to be put in every day. It was called the Hubbard Whirlpool Tank. The nurse would take me behind some curtains and take my clothes off. Then she started putting a diaper on me. I said to the nurse, I don’t want to wear a diaper. The nurse told me that everybody had to wear one before they put you in the whirlpool. After I got better and came home, I never wet the bed or had any other wetting problems while I was growing up as a kid.
 
 I finally got back home. Well, I was out of school quite a while but I got back to school and I graduated from 1st grade. But later on I’ll pay for it.

This house didn’t give me as good of a memory as the last house, maybe because I had Polio for one thing. That didn’t help things. But I still had Mom and I had my dog and Jeanne too. She was still pretty young yet. Let’s see, I was like 5, she’d be only be 3. So I really couldn’t play with her. So I played with the other little kids on the block. Michael next door, I was involved with him. I guess Jeanne was inside just laying in her crib and sucking on her bottle or whatever


                                                                                                                                              
Well, I was asking my sister if see had any memories of Ottawa, so I put them down on tape and let’s hear what she has to say.

 MY SISTER TALKING;

“We’re talking about Ottawa. Um, it’s real vague but I remember we shared that one little room together .And I remember where our beds were and I remember were the dresser was. The dresser was next to the window on the opposite side of the room and you and I had a pack of matches. And we were having a ball lightin’ em. And I kept saying, “Let me try it, Let me try it. You were big brother so you really didn’t want me to do it, but we hear Ma coming in and we had the door shut. I just remember...I don’t know who had the matches at the time but we just threw everything in the drawer and we shut the drawer. And I don’t remember anything after that except that years later I remember Mom saying that we started a fire and the fire department came and everything. We burned clothes and it was really messy.”
   “I remember you and I driving our tricycles like crazy around the posts down in the basement. It was all concrete, it wasn’t tiled and paneled and stuff like that like is today. I do remember our tricycles. That was some of my favorites things to do was to go down in the basement and chase you around the posts on the tricycle.”
  “And I remember Dad got a sickle. I’m not sure why he got it. Except there was a lot of prairie and you and I would go out and walk real deep into the prairie and nobody would know where we were and we would sickle down a whole area of weeds so we could have a fort and we’d bring a blanket because the weeds went very comfortable when they were sickled down. There was one kind of weed like cotton. It was almost like, the inside was almost like a filter on a cigarette but it would burn and we’d try and smoke them. We would light weeds and pretend they were cigarettes.” 

  “You know what else happened at that house to me? Um, I just vaguely remember doing this but I was about...I was about only 3, 2 or 3 years old and I decided, I don’t think I decided to leave home but I started walking. As I started walking, I started talking my clothes off. I don’t actually remember doing it but to this day, you know when we go to visit my mother in-law over there. I remember the exact house. It’s so eerie. It really wasn’t that far away from our house. It was only about 4 blocks away. But I remember that house because those were the bad people because they turned me in. And um, I just remember something happened at that house. And they called my Mom and I ended up having to go back there with her, I don’t know. I don’t really remember except Mom said that I started taking off all my clothes. She realized I was gone and they started to look for me and they called the police. They found a sock; you know a shoe and a sock and then the shorts and then the shirt. I left a whole trail of clothes as I went along. And I guess the milkman finally stopped me and I think those people in that house had something to do with calling the police.”

 “The only other thing I really vividly remember at that house, like when I said I had chicken pocks. Mom would only let me go out on the front steps. I couldn’t go down the steps. I could only be on that front stoop. I must have colored a hundred coloring books during the week I had chicken pocks. But it was real warm out. And Cathy would come over and she would have to stay away when we talked. Cathy was my best friend. She lived next door. They moved after... she had a little baby sister and her mom had her out in a buggy one day and she died of SIDS. I remember the commotion. I didn’t understand the commotion but I remember all the commotion that day. Everybody was crying and screaming and going to the cradle trying to get the baby breathing. It was awful. Cathy and her family got scared after that and they just moved. And on the other side of us were the Turmott’s I remember them because we got Inky in that house and remember the day we got Inky. She was a just a little puppy running around the front lawn just yipping and we were chasing her and Mrs Trumott was out there. Later on when I married Rick, Mrs Turmott use to say all the time, I’ll never forget when you were a little girl chasing that little puppy dog around the front yard.”
   “We had cinder allies at that house. Do you remember the cinder allies?” “Yeah, because it hurt your feet.” “Not only hurt our feet but I used to always have a picture that if I was bad at Christmas that was the cinder that would go in my stocking.”

Well that’s all for this house I guess. So we’ll go on to the next one next Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment