Saturday, October 14, 2017

Back Home Again (Part 2 )

 
 Back Home Again (Part 2.)

( 1st Home on Mason Ave)



June 10th 1994

I’m at my first house on Mason ave. This is the house I was born in. Don’t remember too much. I know I was born here and stayed here for 13 months. I do remember one incident, I don’t know how old I was but I remember Mom, aunt Marie and everybody bringing me into the bathroom and giving me a bath in one of those bathinettes. That’s the only thing I can re....Oh one other thing. They had this basket, a baby basket where you take a nap in it and I remember they used to put me this thing and I couldn’t see out of the sides. When I was laying in the bottom of it, I couldn’t see anybody. I didn’t like that at all, I remember that. Other then that, I don’t remember to much at my first house.

Later on, about 13 years from now , my mom will tell me a story of how grandpa sold a house. They used to build houses and he sold a house on the weekend and the guy paid cash for it. He used his gold coin collection to pay for it. The banks were closed on the weekends, so he brought the gold home and hid it in the house and when the bank opened on the week day, he forgot where he hid it and as far as anybody knows the gold is still hidden in the house someplace. That’s the story my Mom gave me. Mom said it’s buried in the back yard, I asked uncle Bill, he said it’s behind the fireplace in the basement. Mom told me that Aunt Marie thought it was in the attic. I have a feeling my Mom is right. But that’s the story. Mom said that there was $20,000 in gold coins. So you can imagine what it’s worth today. Well, that about all I can remember at this house.

Mason Ave, The house I was born in. 

Mason Ave, The house I was born in.

Phillippines
Aug 29th, 1945

Hello Billy

Welcome to our happy little family and to this great big world, I haven’t met you outside of a few kicks you gave me before you entered this world but I got a picture of you today and you’re quite a little guy. I’m proud of you. As your mother had probably told you, I’m in the army now but it won’t be long until I get home and concentrate on being a good father to you. You will never remember it but you will have served a few months in the army yourself and I hope that is all you will ever serve. That is what all these men fought and died for, was to make your life and other little guys like you, have a better place to live in.

It’s all over now, so it’s up to you to make it stay good when you grow up. You have a good start in live life except for having me for an old man. But with the mother and the grandparents you should be able to overcome that handicap. I promise to do everything I can to be good father to you. So keep this letter. If I ever go astray, it’s sort of a contract. Until we meet Billy, take care of your mother for us and give her a big kiss for me, will you?
Goodnight Billy
Your Dad 

P.S. I hope you like me.
“Yeah Dad, I certainly did like you.”

My Dad wrote me this letter while he was in the Phillippines. He hadn't seen me yet. 

My Dad wrote me this letter while he was in the Philippines. He hadn't seen me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment