Saturday, August 15, 2015

Schaumburg Township Disability Picnic






  The Schaumburg Township Disability Services had their 30th annual picnic today.  The theme this year was Star Wars. Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi were there and would take breaks from their battle if you wanted to have your picture taken with them. 


  Brookfield Zoo brought out a few animals. The first little guy was this turtle. The girl from the zoo said I could touch his shell. When I did, I don’t think he was so sure about my intentions and his head went into his shell for a second. He reminded me of a turtle I once had when I was 6 years old. One day my cousin came over and after I showed him my turtle he asked me if he could take it home with him for a couple of days. I was dumb enough back then and agreed to let him. A few days went by and when I asked him for my turtle back he said, “Oh, I put him in my pocket and forgot about him. He’s dead.” A lesson learned on loaning things out. Yeah, I still remember that.



   The other Zoo girl had a Guinea pig in her hand. It was a cute little thing but it was shedding so much that hair was flying all over. Even though they kept the animals in the shade and sprayed them with a mist of water from time to time, it was still hot out and in the mid 80’s.


   Another cool animal was an Owl. Her eyes were so big. The girl got the Owl out of the cage so we could get a better look at her.



   It was time to eat and the Chicken fingers, baked beans and potato chips I had were good. They had other things but that’s what I had.


   Afterwards they had Ice Cream. It was just what I needed to keep cool, although they did have several big fans blowing into the inside of the tent. 


   They had Bingo afterwards but I didn’t stay for that.

   I want to thank the Schaumburg Township, the Sponsors and all the volunteers who put this on every year.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment