Saturday, May 12, 2012

I Heard My Mother's Voice

  I Heard My Mother's Voice


 


   It was around 1978 when my 8-year-old daughter came down with the flu. We called the doctor and he told us what to do and if she got worse we were to call him back. My wife and I were giving her some aspirin to keep her fever down. We didn’t know it at the time but giving her the aspirin was the worse thing we could have done. Within a couple of hours our daughter went from bad to worse. We got scared and took her to the emergency room where they admitted her to the hospital. The doctor told us that he was going to transfer her to The Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago. He said that she had Reye's Syndrome. We asked the doctor how bad she was and he said, “She might die.”

   We were really scared and we started crying. That night after we had our daughter transferred to Children’s Memorial Hospital, we waited in some waiting room on her floor. The doctor came in and told us, “If she can get through the night she might have a chance.” I was so scared that she was going to die. It was late so I laid down on the floor but I couldn’t sleep That’s when I heard my mother’s voice in my head say, “Don’t worry, she’s going to be all right.” My heart started to calm down and I felt better. I knew my Mom was watching over my daughter. Mom had died 15 years ago but I knew she was there right with us. I didn’t hear anymore from Mom that night. The next morning the doctor came in and said that our daughter showed signs of improvement and that he did not think she would die, not that day anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment